Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Pollo Fundido

I searched many recipes as I wanted to create a Mexican dish I had not tried before. Even though I was raised by a father who spent his young years in Mexico and prided himself in popping a whole jalapeno in his mouth and a mother who raised me on beans and enchiladas, I had never heard of "pollo fundido", which I discovered translates literally to "chicken melt," and is a flour tortilla filled with shredded or cubed chicken and topped with a melted cheese and spicy cream cheese sauce.  I created my own version which is a recipe perfect for a special meal - such as VALENTINES DAY!
My Sweet Valentine helped me prepare this by chopping all the veggies
and rolling the burritos as he is wonderful with details (such as finely chopped and neatly rolled).
POLLO FUNDIDO 
(Fills about 18 to 20 medium flour tortillas - I used the unbaked tortillas from Costco after I baked them in the electric fry pan)
Ingredients for meat filling:
1 onion chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic diced
1 or 2  jalapeno diced
(be sure to wash hands well and don't rub your eyes) 
(saute the above 5 ingredients  in butter or oil)
Stir in seasonings to taste:
salt, pepper, 1 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. chili powder
add:
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken or other meat
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Stir and remove from heat - let sit while preparing sauce
Sauce
Place in blender:
2 cups sour cream
1 cup half and half
8 oz. pk. softened cream cheese
1 chopped garlic clove
4 oz. can of diced jalapeno or 1 jalapeno chopped
1 cup grated cheese
I blister the jalapeno first by heating in the electric fry pan at the same time I cook unbaked flour tortillas -
then I chop and include seeds, but throw away the stem - can peel the skin after blistered. (mine are small garden variety and don't need peeling)
The jalapeno will make popping noise as it blisters and cooks the skin.
Blend all sauce ingredients until smooth
Directions
1.  Add about 1 cup sauce to chicken mixture - stir
2.  Place about 3 Tablespoons chicken mixture on tortilla
3.  roll up like a burrito
4.  place on greased cookie sheet
5.  Bake in preheated oven at 425 for about 12 minutes till a little crunchy
6.  Remove from oven - Turn oven down to 325
7.  Pour sauce over tops of all burritos
8.  Top with grated cheese
9.  Put immediately back in oven (do not need to wait for temperature to drop)
10.  Bake for about 20 - 30 minutes
Can stay warm in oven until time to eat

No comments:

Post a Comment